Sunday, December 3, 2017

In my own little world


In my own little world

Episode 1

On the road to recovery


I look back on my life and continue to search for my claim to fame.

I'll continue to search. So far I haven't found such an animal.

Sure, the basics are there. A good job for a while, at least until the airline industry took a big nose dive in the mid 1980s. The father of two and a grandpa to six.

Maybe my claim to fame is the fact I'm still alive at the age of 72 and just a few moons away from 73. Maybe it is the fact I'm still playing the game of baseball, or to be more specific: trying to take the field despite injury after injury.

Is that what it comes down to?

I've said many, many times that I wish to become the oldest baseball player to ever take the field. Lately, I can't even pull my crumpled body out of bed in the morning. Yes, after a few hours of grunting and growing, I'm up and around and finally out walking among the English ( a saying I'll always remember from the movie Witness -- where the old Amish man at the end of the movie tells the detective, played by Harrison Ford, to be careful when he returns to work in the big city).

We have on our 60-and-over baseball team a man who recently turned 91. He played regularly up to a few months ago. My goodness, I need to play another 20 years if I want to consider myself the "oldest baseball player to ever live" on my local club team!

I guess I need to rethink my goals. I tried the "writing thing" and practically self published five fiction books. Oh, you can find one or two of them in the local library and one or two may show up on EBay and if you look hard enough on Amazon you can find all five. My quarterly royalty checks average anywhere from one dollar to five dollars.

Sometimes I sit back and question why I evened bothered to write. I've come to the conclusion all my main characters had a "claim to fame" -- a reason at least to filter through three-hundred pages of make believe and end up successful at something.

One thing is for sure, until I get back on the ball field, I guess I'll communicate on my laptop to the few readers I have. That's if they care to listen to my dribble.



3 comments:

  1. Keep writing Dan. I am reminded of Socrates quote "An unexamined life is not worth living." Although that's a bit harsh and considered by many to be elitist, I do believe that a periodic assessment enrichs one's life and those he impacts. - Don J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your "dribble". Please continue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mike. Today I said the heck with it and played anyway....made it through....maybe I'm back. 1 for 3 and a double play turn.

    ReplyDelete