Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Ochoa picks up first win with the TOTS



Tucson Old Timers (TOTS)

60-and-over baseball








Jesse Ochoa, 63, has officially joined the 60-and-over Tucson Old Timers (TOTS) pitching staff.

Ochoa, a member of the TOTS since 2012, had dabbled a bit on the mound during 2014 and has logged a few innings on occasion in 2015, but today he went the distance (six innings, the club's maximum innings during the hot summer months) and he picked up his first victory as TOTS Blue edged TOTS White, 8-6, at Udall Park.

"I'm happy with that (the victory)," said Ochoa, following the game. "My first win with the TOTS. I'll take it."

Ochoa struck out one and walked four and he got some run support from an unlikely source, 83-year old Jerry Smarik.

Smarik, better known as the "Rocket" for his lack of speed (that's his teammates' nickname for him), knocked in four runs today, one on an RBI-single and three more runs scored on fielder's choice plays.

Mike Steele, 67, was saddled with the loss today, going six innings in a losing cause. Steele tried his best to keep his team in the game offensively with four hits in five trips to the plate.

The TOTS will be back in action on Friday.

Photos: (top) Jesse Ochoa, (middle) Mike Steele, (bottom) Jerry Smarik.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Danny--at least I live up to the nickname you gave me with this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having you on the ball field with me...you're smiling and enjoy every moment...just like me.

    BASEBALL has been very good to me...US!

    ReplyDelete