Saturday, January 9, 2010

I wish I was in Memphis...



It is Elvis Presley's 75th birthday!

I wish I had a few extra bucks in my wallet and could forego the NFL playoffs this weekend. If I could pull it off, I'd head for Memphis and Graceland...there's a party going on over there.

Going to Graceland has been on my "bucket list" for a long time, so I could just as well pencil in the Bengals, the Cowboys, the Patriots, and maybe, the Cards, grab the old charge card and head out. But I won't. Elvis left the building a long time ago and I'm getting to old to deal with crowds, so I'll settle for channel surfing...pick up an old repeat of a Presley concert on the tube, sit back and take it all in.

It seems like a lifetime ago when I journeyed to Las Vegas to catch Elvis in person. My wife and I sat down at a table, which was about 12 inches wide by the way, along with three other couples, and watched Elvis perform. I believe it was a three-drink minimum and the cocktail waitress brought all 24 drinks at once and it became a juggling act for two hours just to grab a sip of whatever it was we were drinking. No matter, it was a concert I'll never forget. Song after song, after song. It seemed like Elvis enjoyed his work so much, that he was in no hurry to leave the building then. I owe a lot to Elvis. It was his music that transformed me from a wallflower to a dancin' fool. From rock and roll to gospel, he could do it all. His music lives on.

As for me...find me a dance floor with an Elvis tune blaring away in the background...and I'll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment