Monday, August 3, 2009

'Say it ain't so...Joe' list getting too long



Okay you old timers...I'm sure you feel the same way as I do.

This 'Say it ain't so,Joe' list is getting a little too long. Bring back Joe DiMaggio...the Duke...the Mick, sorry I'm getting carried away.

Too much morning coffee. Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard baseball fan and I'll go down with the ship. It's just that it gets frustrating. I love to read about my baseball heroes in the box score every morning, but I'm down to just one at the moment that I glance at as soon as I open up the sports page. And he's Ken Griffey Jr.

I hope I never hear the words: "Say it ain't so, Ken." Griffey smacked his 622nd home run the other day. He ranks number five all-time, just behind Barry Bond (762), Hank Aaron (755), Babe Ruth (714) and Willie Mays (660). Griffey is 39 years old and "father time" is closing in, but he's the man at center stage in my book. But, how can we ever forget our old baseball icons like DiMaggio (361 home runs), Snider (407) and Mantle (536). Of course, many of our old baseball heroes had their own demons to deal with back then, but you rarely heard the words, "Say it ain't so, Joe."

I think I'll go for my second cup of coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment