Friday, August 21, 2009

Ken Stone and Bubba Sparks

I have two new blogger friends that I look up to and admire. One is the author of www.masterstrack.com. His name is Ken Stone. The other is a 56-year-old pole vaulter by the name of Doug "Bubba" Sparks and his blog is www.bubbapv.com.

You can click on my favorite links or go to the blogs I follow and instantly find yourself in their world. For my readers on bookemdanosports, it is a must-read. Stone, a former copy editor for the San Diego Union Tribune, has a site dedicated to master athletes in track and field that will blow your mind away.

As for Bubba Sparks, he's a former five-time All American from Southwest Texas State and a three-time national champion pole vaulter. At the age of 56, he is now preparing for the 2009 Sydney Games to be held in mid October.

Thirty years ago the man was pole vaulting 18 feet. Now he's clearing 13 feet and could very well walk away with the masters title in Sydney. And if you want to know everything there is to know about pole vaulting, just go to his site. It is incredible.

I'm to old to start jumping. I'll be happy if I can snare a live drive at the Men's Senior League Baseball World Series in Phoenix in October. As for Stone, he's the man. If my blog could someday get to his level of expertise, I'd be happy. In the meantime, I'll continue to do what I do in hopes of running across more men and women of such caliber.

No comments:

Post a Comment