Saturday, August 21, 2021

To sleep...perchance to dream

 Let's see if I can piece together my latest dream...

On our old-timers' baseball team we have a centerfielder -- the smilin' Bobby Long, and one of our top infielders is Pistol Pete Peters and then there's me.

In my latest dream (and there has been many lately, cool dreams, wonderful dreams...soothing dreams all of a non-violent nature) of which I attribute to a new sleeping pill. Now, this one works. It is called gabapentin and supposedly it does wonders for back pain or any nerve pain for that matter. In my case, it is used to calm you down and allow for sweet dreams. It's a very low dose. So not to worry.

Getting back to the dream, I step to the plate and collect my third hit of the game (this was the first sign I was dreaming). The ball sailed over the head of the shortstop for what I thought was a solid single. In the meantime, Bobby grabs a ball out of his pocket and throws a bullet to Peters at first base. Suddenly, I'm out by a step.

Bobby's smile turns into a full out laugh and Pistol Pete giggles. It's all in fun, of course, and I have my hit.

Later on in the dream, we all head for Johnny's Drive-in, the famous eatery in Tucson -- the teenage hangout from the 1960s. Suddenly a cloudy mist hovers over the rooftop of the restaurant and I realize I'm in a dream. I'm not in Tucson anymore and I'm certainly not in Iowa.

I'm in heaven! 

I slept comfortably the rest of the night.


Photo: The Dreamer


No comments:

Post a Comment