Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Time for a little gobbledegook

 From the desk of Pigpen Price


Gobbledegook. Now there's a word I have never used in a sentence. I'm not sure my writing fits that category. I'm sure some of my readers may think so, but heck I'm 75 years old and spend a lot of time writing and this is my blog. The freedom to write. That's the wonderful country we live in.

So you can call it nonsense, magic words, gibberish or what ever you wish. You are "my readers" and also have the freedom to read or not to read...or toss my stuff to the wind.

Wind! I live in Tucson and it's the middle of December (almost) and it is a windy day. Go figure. Wind today and gone tomorrow and along comes the heat one day and cold the next...and of course this is 2020 and there's always that five letter word, which everyone hates to hear about: Covid.

Ok. Enough. Let's get on to the World of Sports and to be more specific: sports in Arizona. One day we have a game and the next day we don't. Sometimes you can find an NFL game on a Tuesday...a Wednesday...a Friday, or not at all. We are lucky to still have some pro football on television on any given Sunday (reminds me of a movie).

So, I sit down, grab a brewski and a flash comes across the screen: No game today, due to a lineman and a running back just tested positive for covid-19.

Now, don't leave me yet. Covid-19 is serious stuff. We, and I mean "WE" as a nation are trying to work around this miserable virus. Work! Yes, I pray for all the young people out there who are working for a living and doing their level best to provide for their family. 

And there is "us" old people. We barely fit in before the virus.

Look at us now. I mean take a deep breath and question are they okay and where are they for heaven's sake? Yes, some of us are old and love to stay at home and see what happens next on The Young and the Restless. I'm kidding. There is nothing wrong with that. I mean I wonder from time to time what has happened to Victor Newman. The last time I saw Victor, I mean actor Eric Braeden, was in the 1969 flick 100 Rifles, alongside Raquel Welch, Burt Reynolds and Jim Brown.

Let's switch back to sports. How is our Arizona Wildcats doing in basketball?  Football, let's save the gridiron stuff for another time. The Wildcats, with Sean Miller at the helm, are 3-0. I know we have yet to play a powerhouse, but last night they beat the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, 96-53. How about the women's team: 3-0 and ranked 6th in the country? I mean every cardboard person in the Old Pueblo showed up this week for games at McKale.

Back to old people. Remember some of us are still on the move.

Those are the ones you need to worry about!


Photo: The old man on the run

No comments:

Post a Comment