Friday, December 11, 2020

It's time for the Cardboard Lady to sing...

 From the desk of a diehard Wildcat fan


What is wrong with me? I'm turning into a cardboard mannequin at home. I'm sitting on my sofa with my Arizona cap on and during every advertisement break I stare off into the sunset and mumble, "Is this really happening?"

I mean the Arizona women's basketball team is en route to a 28-point win over Arizona State and will move on up next week from their 6th in the nation ranking to even higher as they improve to 4-0 on Thursday with a 65-37 win at McKale.

Peppery guard Aari McDonald led all scorers with 22 points and looks like she's ready to grab a carry-on bag, walk out of McKale and join an NBA team...well WNBA, anyway. Meanwhile, what looks like a full house of cardboard Arizona fans sit quietly and take it all in. Is it time for the Cardboard Lady to sing?

Across the hall, so to speak, the Arizona men's team prepares today for an encounter at home against UTEP tomorrow at 4 p.m. The Wildcats (4-0) are coming off a dismantling of Cal State Bakerfield, 85-60, on Wednesday at the cardboard arena at the McKale Center.

The Wildcats dish out 22 assists and they look like a team Miller has been looking for ever since he walked through the McKale doors for the first time. Yes, I know we have yet to play a Pac-12 game with this young -- and fun to watch, I may add -- Arizona Wildcats team for 2020-21.

But coming out of my dreamy cardboard eyes, I see shooting guard Jemari Baker pour in 33 points against NAU on Monday and another 15 against Bakersfield, while backup guard Terrell Brown comes off the bench, pours in 16 points and adds six assists.

Please somebody sing a tune. Maybe the postgame workers who are busy making McKale ready for the next group of cardboard fans should come up with a rendition of "Bear Down, Arizona."

And don't get me started on the Arizona Cardinals at 6-6 and now my favorite player Larry Fitzgerald is just getting over a COVID-19 scare. The 37-year-old is back at practice and ready for action on Sunday, an away game with the New York Giants.

Still, I have yet to watch all four quarters of an NFL game. I guess my cardboard neck hurts. Well, it does anyway, at the age of 75. To be honest it does feel like a piece off cardboard at times...hard to move to the right with a little crunching sound now and then.

I am slowly getting back to being my old diehard self as a University of Arizona fan.

I just wish somebody would stand up and cheer on my Wildcats. I'm thinking maybe a spring should be attached to every cardboard fan that enters McKale.

Go, Wildcats!



No comments:

Post a Comment