Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rudy Castro



Ran into a Tucson sports legend today. His name: Rudy Castro.

Rudy was one of many old timers who showed up this afternoon to pay their respects and say goodbye to a TOTS' teammate of mine, Clarence Fieber (see posting, May 31). Rudy, a 1993 Pima County Sports Hall of Fame Inductee, played football, baseball and basketball at Tucson High School (1946-49) and also played second base for Frank Sancet at the University of Arizona (1956-59).

If you have been around the local sports scene for, let's say six decades or more, and are an avid Wildcat fan, then chances are you'd recognize Castro if you saw him in person. I certainly did. I shook hands with the man and talked quite a while with the Pima County Hall of Famer. Rudy gave me a hug and said to me, "It was a pleasure talking to you." I felt the same way about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment