Monday, March 8, 2010

"I'll have what Mickey Rooney is having"




I caught a glimpse of Mickey Rooney at the Academy Awards last night. Talk about an Energizer Bunny. I'll have what he's having. The man is 89 years old and will turn 90 in September. The man has been married eight times -- his current wife is Jan Chamberlin, who was at his side last night at the awards. His first wife, back in the early 1940s, was the beautiful Ava Gardner. Between and during his eight marriages the man made over 200 films.

He earned an Honorary Oscar for Lifetime Achievement, five Oscar nominations, one Emmy Award and two Golden Globes. He's a Hollywood legend that keeps on ticking. I still remember his performances as Mi Taylor in National Velvet (released in 1944, alongside another child star at the time Elizabeth Taylor), and Mitch Forney, William Holden's sidekick and helicopter pilot in Bridge at Toko-Ri (released in 1954).

I would like to spend a day, maybe even a week in his den, at his home, in Westlake Village, California, which is incidentally the same city where Vin Scully and Mike Scoscia resides, among others. The history in that den must take your breath away. While I'm at it maybe I'd stop over and see Vinny and Mike -- the memorabilia in their respective dens must be out of this world as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment