Thursday, March 11, 2010

The agony of a Wildcats' loss...




In the Stands Report by Bookemdano: In some ways I'm glad it's over. My body is tired. Everyone around me is shaking their head and telling me to take it easy...it's only a game, they say. But I'm a die hard Arizona Wildcat fan and for the first sixty seconds following a loss, chances are I'm not going to agree to anything.

The agony of a Wildcats' loss hurts this old timer, no matter when it happens, but it is especially agonizing when the loss means the end to Arizona's chances for a Pac-10 tournament title, or more importantly, a prestigious NCAA tourney bid. What hurts the most, as I watched the Wildcats disappear from the court at Staples Center this afternoon, after absorbing a 75-69 loss to UCLA, is the fact "The Streak" has ended.

Arizona has been to the "Big Dance" every March for 25 consecutive years -- a record very few colleges and universities will ever match, not in this day and age of college basketball, anyway.

I must say, it is not the fault of the current crop of Wildcats who took the court today, they have fought their way through a tough season and you could say they even over achieved. With 16 wins and 15 losses, Sean Miller and his young Wildcats finished over .500, and barring a NIT invite, that's the way it will end. But the future is bright for the Arizona basketball program, and the Wildcats will return next season with a more experienced team and will be one of the favorites to capture the Pac-10 title in 2011.

And yes, another streak will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment