Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Little Leon and the case of the missing bicycle




TOTS Senior Baseball Network (TSBN)

60-and-over baseball




Leon Glasshoffer, 73,  has been playing baseball with the Tucson Old Timers (TOTS) for 10 years.

When Leon joined the TOTS, a 60-and-over baseball team that plays America's favorite pastime three days a week at Udall Park, he had just turned 63 and the Providence, Rhode Island native, by his own admission was  "on cloud nine" at the time.

"I've always loved baseball, but I'd been away from the sport for so long, close to 50 years," says Leon. "I was just a young boy in high school the last time I played the game of baseball. Sure, I played some softball over the years, but not baseball."

So, what kept Leon (photo above) away from the game for so long?

Was it work, family? What kept Leon -- a diehard Boston Red Sox fan who grew up idolizing Ted Williams --  from the game of baseball?

According to Glasshoffer, after his high school days, he went on to the University of Rhode Island and received a marketing degree, got married,  and then focused on raising his family, providing them with the better things of life.

He would eventually move his family to California and then to Arizona. His profession: A teddy bear salesman for Russ Berry Toy Company. "I made a very good living at it. Hey, somebody has got to do it."

Of course, Leon sold more than just teddy bears and he worked his way up in the company, eventually becoming a VP of Marketing with Russ Berry.

That explains things, somewhat. But what happened to the young Leon, back in the early 50s? What kept him away from the game of baseball?

"It was very simple," he said. "I lost my transportation."

"It was the first day of practice, " Leon recalls. "We were a poor family. Not a lot of money for extra things. I did have a bicycle and we lived a long way across town. It was a long trip to and from school, but at least I had my bike and could stay after school...and play baseball."

Until his bicycle was stolen, that is.

"I remember telling my folks," Leon said. "It was a sad day. There wasn't enough money to go around. Getting a new bicycle was out of the question. So, I had to get a job and earn the money to replace the bike."

One thing led to another and Leon never made it back to the high school baseball field. He never played competitive baseball again...at least not until the spring of 2003 when he joined the TOTS.

"I thought I had died and gone to Heaven," Leon said in a recent interview as he rehashes the 10 years he's spent as a TOT. "It's been wonderful playing the game of baseball again. The guys are great and I look forward to playing every week."

Leon played in 104 games with the TOTS in 2012. He batted 258 times, scored 29 runs and collected 47 hits.

And by the way, Leon currently lives in Oro Valley. That's about 50 miles round trip to and from Udall Park. But, one thing is for sure, Leon no longer needs a bicycle to get to the ball park.



No comments:

Post a Comment