Monday, February 14, 2011

Gordon Overstreet...my mother's new neighbor




It has been a long six weeks. And most of my readers understand why. My 83-year-old mother, Kathryn, gave the family a scare. Her illness resulted in a week-long stay at the University Medical Center in Tucson (her room not too far from Gabby Gifford's room, I must add). But mom bounces back, leaves UMC, spends three weeks in rehab and finally, moves in last Thursday to her new home, a high-rise (so to speak), 4th floor apartment, in an assisted living complex. She has wonderful neighbors, including her next door neighbor, who to my surprise, turns out to be none other than Pima County Sports Hall of Famer Gordon Overstreet. I had a pleasant 30-minute conversation with Mr. Overstreet, 89, on the same day of my mom's move-in. As a former sports writer, our paths have crossed many times over the years.

Overstreet, grew up in Missouri, lettered three years in baseball and track at Northwest Missouri State. He went on to coach baseball during a tour with the U.S. Navy and later as football, baseball and basketball coach in Iowa and at Wakefield Junior High School in Tucson. His true calling, however, has been that of an official. He has officiated both basketball and football in NCAA Division I and II, Border Conference and WAC. He has been Observer of Officials for both men and women in the Pac-10, NCAA Division I quarter-finals, Division II Regionals, the Junior College Arizona Conference, Astro Bluebonnet Bowl and Fiesta Bowl, as well as the Arizona Interscholastic Association.

I can't wait to visit my mom this week and maybe run into Gordon again. Maybe the three of us will sit out on my mom's patio, stare at the beautiful view of the Catalina Mountains, and just maybe, I'll get a chance to rehash some old sports stories with the local hall of famer. And of course, my mom will rekindle some old stories of her own.

Life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment