Saturday, October 31, 2009

First Senior World Series a kick for Yours Truly...

The MSBL World Series way back in 2009...


I prepared all year to compete in my first Men's Senior League Baseball (MSBL) World Series in 2009. It was a dream of mine for a long time. I battled all the aches and pains and made the transition from an aluminum bat to a wooded Louisville Slugger. I fine-tuned what skills I had by playing for the Tucson Old Timers (TOTS) at Udall Park. I started off with a bang at the World Series and ended with a THUD!

On record, I went 8 for 20 with a walk and a stolen base for a .400 batting average. But in the fourth game of the World Series against San Antonio, we had a pick off attempt at third base. My catcher made a perfect throw -- a 2 to 5 putout. The runner decided to take me out and he came in with his elbows high, right after the tag. I was knocked out. He was thrown out of the World Series. I managed to see limited action the rest of the way, but eventually I couldn't run to first base and I missed the final three games. I returned to Tucson and battling through rehab with some nerve damage in my spine. The pain was nothing compared to the agony I felt sitting in the dugout and watching my teammates continue to play the game I love. I must say it was worth the price. The friendships and the camaraderie among my teammates is, and was, priceless. 

I'll be back next year. (and as is turns out the year after...the year after...and on and on).

Photo in 2009: From l to R: Me "The Kid" and my catcher and MSBL manager, Mike Morales. Mike was the one that made the throw to third. I was forced to wear street clothes and cheer from the dugout for the final three games of the World Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment