Sunday, September 27, 2009

Is it worth the price?



I woke up this morning. That's a good thing. But as I rolled out of bed, I first felt the soreness in my right shoulder. I tried to pinpoint the ache as I used my left hand to massage a spot or two, then I realized the arthritis in my left thumb was acting up and for a split second the pain in my shoulder went away as I quickly grabbed my wrist with my right hand.

I then put both feet on the floor only to receive a shock wave that extended from my toes up to my ankles.

I'm just three weeks away from a trip to Phoenix to compete in the 2009 Men's Senior League Baseball (MSBL) World Series, and in my mind,  I'm faced with the thought: will I be able to run, hit or throw? What's my problem?

I guess it's the fact I'm 64 years old and I should put a stop to the idea that I can beat back the clock.

But, awaiting me, in Phoenix, is 3,200 players and 340 teams--and they all have rosters filled with "over the hill" athletes who still play for the love of the game. I have friends who have told me on more than one occassion,"Give it up fool, you're crazy to play baseball at your age!"

Maybe...just maybe, this will be my last hurrah. My heart doctor shakes his head, but encourages me to persevere. Just 21 months ago I left the hospital after surviving a quadruple bypass. After getting all the morphine and a dozen other medications out of my system, I began to walk around my neighborhood, a month later I began rehab and exactly four months after my heart attack I was back on the field playing baseball.

I recently read an article about the baby boomers generation and how all the ERs across this great country of ours has seen a 47 percent increase in activity from that age group (44-62). I guess I'm considered a late-bloomer at 64, but I'll add myself to the group...who cares?

Even after writing this article, I'm still committed. I'll still take the field in October and chances are I'll meet plenty of players with the same aches and pains as I have. We'll shake hands after each game and maybe even discuss the reasons why we battle "father time" and all our injuries to play the game we love. Let's play ball!

Photo: Above photo is yours truly...awaiting my first MSBL World Series.

1 comment:

  1. Dan, as long as the pain doesn't take over the quality of your life, go for it! My almost 93-year old dad has asked me on more than one occasion to give up softball after over 40 years of playing, but it's in my blood & the enjoyment of playing far outweighs not playing at this point. Yeah, I, too, almost died of a heart problem a few years back, but if I stopped playing before I was ready to part of me would die. My dad was shagging balls at my practices when he was in his mid-70's. Go get 'em in Phoenix & look forward to your postings!

    ReplyDelete