Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Watson's performance at British Open...outstanding



Some of the radio talk shows and some of the media outlets are saying Tom Watson choked down the stretch at the 2009 British Open.

Aren't they missing the point?

What the 59-year-old Watson accomplished, despite losing to Stewart Cink in a four-hole playoff, reminds me of the 1996 sports flick, Tin Cup. Of course, it was a different story line, but Kevin Costner's character, Roy McAvoy, lost a fictional U.S. Open by going crazy on the 72nd hole by refusing to lay up and ended up with an outlandish score in front of a screaming crowd around the 18th green.

His love interest said, "Roy, years from now, they're not gonna remember who won...but they'll remember your 12."

And...that is exactly what golf fans will remember about Watson's performance last weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I agree I thought some of the press was tough on him. I love Watson. I loved Kevin Costner too. He was great in Tin Cup and I thought Watson did a great job. My hat is off to him.

    ReplyDelete